Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Wednesday 120815 Tabata Push Press/Jump Lunge


Here is Erik W's background story- he has been with us at CFM for about 5 months now:
I had been dealing with a ruptured disc at L5 S1 since I was 21. My method of pain management mostly included narcotics and the occasional PT or steroid epidermal to reduce the swelling. After nine years of struggling to control the pain, I finally decided to have a micro discectomy surgery.  The surgery was a
success in that the disc no longer pushed on the sciatic nerve, but because there's was contact for so long, the nerve was still sending phantom pain signals. Two years after the surgery I was still heavily using narcotics to deal with the phantom pains. My doctor suggested moving me off them, and onto an anti-depressant that was supposed to block the pain signals being sent. While it did that, it had some negative effects. My motivation level went down, which meant so did my activity level. I also started eating a lot more and putting on a
bunch of weight. 
After about a year of this is when we decided to start at CFM by the end of On-Ramp my energy level was higher than it had been in years. I decided  to stop taking the AD and the energy level just went through the roof. The weight just keeps coming off too. A focus on more natural foods, portion control, and a ton of
CrossFit continually surprises me as I loose weight and get stronger.
I started CFM in April 2012 at 218#. As of this morning I am down to
197. I haven't been this light since before Evan was born 4years ago.

This newfound energy and strength is was motivated me to compete in the CFNewbury Park (where Erik will start training when the school year begins) competition, and I am thrilled with the progress I've made in such a short period of time. The community of people and desire to better ourselves is something I have never experienced before and I don't ever want to loose. I have been bitten by the CF bug and now make it a priority to focus on my training no matter where I'm at.


Last weekend Erik competed in CrossFit Newbury Park's Olympic Weightlifting contest.  His total for the event (1RM snatch + 1RM clean and jerk) was roughly 140kg!  He made 5 of his 6 lift attempts, missing only his first C&J due likely to not enough warm up.  Great job Erik!

Wednesday's WOD: class times at 7, 9, 10am and again at 5pm.  Strength class at 6pm.
Muscle Up Transition Work
-then-
Eight rounds for max reps of:
35/25 kg Push press, 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Jumping alternating lunge, 20 seconds
Rest 10 seconds
Post loads and WOD times to journals/chalkboards.
Compare to November 09, 2011

2 comments: